Climbing inductions are for those aged 18+ and are an assessment of your competency to climb unsupervised. Please review the criteria below used in the assessments.
If you are not confident in your ability to pass the climbing induction assessment, please take the time to gain further confidence and experience before undertaking the induction assessment, or book into an adult pay and play course session to climb supervised by instructors in order to gain the confidence and experience.
Adult 18+ Climbing Inductions for the main roped climbing wall (Only for competent climbers)
||8.00pm to 9.00pm
||8.00pm to 9.00pm
||8.00pm to 9.00pm
Please see details of how to pre book your sessions below.
Adult climbing Induction Assessment
- Harness: To be competent to fit a climbing harness safely.
- Tying in to harnesses: To be competent to tie into a climbing harness correctly using either a rethreaded figure of eight with a minimum 10cm tail or a bowline (Single or double)
- Belaying: To be able to lower and secure a falling climber safely using a belay device for the correct rope diameter and length.
- Top roping: To be competent in the skills required for top roping and the ability to check their climbing partner has fitted their harness correctly and tied in correctly.
- Lead climbing: Can clip the rope into all protection points correctly and to ensure their equipment is suitable, in particular the rope is in good condition and long enough for the intended routes.
- Lead Belaying: To be competent in the skills required to ‘Lead Belay’ and understand the increased risk of injury to the climber with incorrect belaying practices.
- Autobelay: To be competent in attaching the Autobelay to a climbing harness, understand to stay underneath the device when climbing (Identified to Line), and ensure awareness to stay out of landing zones, ensuring landing zones are clear before descending.
- To have had sufficient opportunity to read the ‘Acknowledgement of Risk Document’ document, understand it, and agree to be bound by its terms.
In order to bring up to two novice guests aged 5+ to the main climbing wall, you must have already passed the induction assessment for Climbing and should submit the Climbing wall novice guest form to register your guests.
Before you complete the form, your guests will need to have a leisure card or membership which they will need to Sign up for online or Book a tour appointment with a membership advisor
When you have submitted the relevant guest form, we will then confirm once each guest has the relevant permission to climb with you added to their leisure card or membership. Guests will only be granted access once their permission has been added, and only if you are with them. Your guests will be charged for their attendance, however if they have a health and fitness membership they can climb as your guest as part of their membership at no additional cost.
Climbing Wall Guests
Children aged 5 years to 17 years: Must always be supervised by a registered climbing adult aged 18 years or over.
Adults 18 years or over: Non registered adults must always be supervised by the registered adult aged 18 years or over.
Please note that unless exempt, please wear a face covering in our Centres, except whilst exercising.
On arrival please follow the below guides to ensure safety for yourself and others:
- Check in at reception for your session no earlier than 10 minutes before your booked time.
- Use hand sanitiser before and after your activity (located in reception and also at the climbing wall).
- Come workout ready and limit the need to use the bag drop zone.