Last modified January 26, 2023
Please read the following points carefully as they refer to your ‘Learn to swim’ scheme (L2S) membership at Active Blackpool. As a member you agree to comply with and adhere to the following terms and conditions.
- The term ‘Initial Term’ means a full monthly payment from the date of joining the Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim’ Scheme.
- The term ‘Swimmer(’s)’ refers to the person enrolled on the Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim’ Scheme.
- The term ‘You’ and ‘your’ refers to the payer of the swimmer lesson fees.
- The term ‘Membership’ refers to the Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim’ Scheme. It does not refer to a membership of the facility.
Starting the membership
- You will need to complete a swimming lesson registration booking form prior to your membership commencement. Failure to complete this will result in the membership being placed in a suspended or cancelled state and any fees paid will not be reimbursed.
- All fees due will need to be paid prior to commencement of the Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim’ scheme that the swimmer is joining.
- When paying by Direct Debit you will need to pay an initial pro rata payment to cover the period from joining until the next available Direct Debit date. These prices can be obtained from the Active Blackpool Front of House Staff on site.
- When paying by Direct Debit, your payment will cover the period from when the payment day is due, to the day preceding your due collection day the following month. Your Direct Debit is a rolling payment and has no ‘END’ date.
- When completing a registration booking form for the Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim Scheme’ all personal details are held on our membership system and will be utilised to maintain contact with you. If a place is not available at the swimmer’s current level, the swimmer will be placed on a waiting list and 3 attempts will be made to contact you once a place becomes available. If for any reason contact cannot be made the swimmer’s details will be placed in a suspended state and removed from the waiting list.
- Direct Debit collections will be made directly by Active Blackpool Leisure Services.
- Direct Debit collections will be made on the 4th of each month or nearest working day in the case of weekends or bank holidays.
- When paying for 10 week block payments, this is a non refundable payment for 10 consecutive weeks. Payment for the next block of lessons must be received before the start of the last paid lesson, an email reminder will be sent where a valid email address has been given, no other reminders will be given.
Ending the membership
- When paying by Direct Debit, you have the right to end the membership within 14 days from the sign up date. If you end the membership within this period, you will be refunded any pro-rata payments, less any fees for attended lessons. After 14 days you can end the membership following the Initial Term by completing the online form by the 15th of the month (see bullet point 3 within this section for ending the membership procedure).
- Ending the membership during the Initial Term will require the payment of any and all fees due under the membership agreement.
- If you wish to end the membership, please complete the online membership cancellation form on the Active Blackpool website or complete the cancellation form within the leisure centres. Cancellations made verbally will not be accepted. Once the cancellation has been received, confirmation of the cancellation date will be sent to you within 10 working days, if you have not had confirmation by then, please get in touch with Active Blackpool
- Memberships may only be frozen in the event of long term medical conditions that prevent participation in swimming lessons. The membership will be frozen from the date proof is submitted at the centre or via email to Learn2swim@blackpool.gov.uk.
Conditions of use
- The membership is non-transferable.
- All swimming lesson places will initially be allocated to swimmers already on the lesson programme.
- New swimmers can join the swimming lesson programme at any point.
- Once payment has been made for swimming lessons, no refunds or reimbursements will be available unless absence is confirmed by signed doctor’s note or medical exemption certificate in case of illness; in such cases all credits due will be offered as a discount on future swimming lesson payments.
- Swimmers must wear appropriate swimming attire, namely lycra shorts or trunks (no board or holiday shorts) Baggy costumes/trunks can hamper movement or 1 piece costumes (no bikinis or tankinis).
- No Jewellery should be worn at any time during swimming lessons.
- All lessons are subject to a 5 minute registration and administration time during the allotted session time; this is to record attendance for health and safety reasons.
- Class numbers are restricted and set by Active Blackpool to ensure a quality teaching environment and are based on the Swim England Safe Supervision for Teaching and Coaching Swimming Policy.
- A safe and controlled environment is paramount for a successful swimming lesson programme to be undertaken; therefore no non swimmers (including parents/guardians) will not be permitted onto the poolside at any time.
- Progression of all swimmers will be at the judgment of the Aquatics Instructor and in accordance with the progression criteria of the "Swim England Learn to Swim Framework"
- Queries regarding the lesson programme or individual swimmer’s progress should be directed to the Front of House team or Aquatics Officer, who will then co-ordinate a response from the relevant member of staff.
- All swimmers are required to be available to start their lesson at the allotted start time for registration with the instructor. Swimmers must not enter the water until instructed to do so by the instructor.
- Swimmer’s ability and speed of progression will vary depending upon the individual. Swimmers will progress when all competencies have been satisfied as setup under the Swim England’s swimming lesson guidelines. You will be notified via email that the swimmer is ready to move to the next stage. You can login and make the required movement on the Home Portal or contact the Front of House Staff to arrange a new lesson time. If on completion of the current stage, the next stage class is available on the same day we will automatically move the swimmer into the next stage although the time may vary. Please check your home portal and emails for lesson updates.
- The use of camera or video photography (including mobile phones) is strictly prohibited at all times within the facility.
- Parents/Guardians of children under 8 must remain on site for the duration of the lesson
- Active Blackpool L2S operates a continuous programme running through 50 weeks of the year with a two week break for Christmas holidays.
- Direct Debit Membership fees are calculated at 48 out of the 50 week program
- Direct Debit Memberships enrolled on Active Blackpool ‘Learn to Swim’ lessons will receive free public swimming for under 16s.
- Direct Debit payments will be amended to cover any relevant bank holidays as and when necessary.
- When paying by Direct Debit it is understood that you will make every effort to ensure that the nominated account is available and in credit so allowing collection of any due fees on the agreed date of collection
- Repeated non-payment of your Direct Debit will result in this service being removed and not reinstated until all monies repaid.
- Before the swimmer commences their swimming lessons a registration form must be completed. We reserve the right to refer any prospective member to his / her GP if there are contra-indications in respect of physical exercise.
- Membership cards remain the property of Active Blackpool. Upon joining, the swimmer’s photograph will be taken. This photograph will be displayed on the verification screen as each member enters the facility.
- Any swimmer, who mislays, loses or damages their membership card will be required to purchase a new card on their next visit. Membership cards must be presented upon entry to public swimming sessions.
- If during your membership period the swimmer’s contact or medical details change in any way you will be required to inform the Leisure centre reception or by emailing Learn2swim@blackpool.gov.uk as soon as possible.
- We may alter facility opening times, or temporarily withdraw provisions at any time if we require them for tournaments, exhibitions or other activities, or in connection with any repairs, alterations or maintenance work, or for any other reasonable reason. All such changes will be displayed with as much prior notice as possible on the notice boards and on our website. This will include any closure, withdrawal of specific services as a result of industrial action or extended closure periods due to reasons out of our control. If we are unable to provide replacement sessions in the future, credits for cancelled sessions may be deducted from your future lesson payment schedules.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to provide the same Aquatics Instructor for each lesson within a course. However, supply Aquatics Instructors may be used without prior notification
- If an Aquatics Instructor is absent, we will seek to find a suitable replacement, however the Aquatic Officer reserves the right to merge classes if considered appropriate. This may result in the classes running at a higher capacity than usual.
- All swimmers are bound by the Active Blackpool facility terms and conditions.
- All lessons are subject to availability.
- If any changes are made to these Terms & Conditions we will notify you in writing give 14 days’ minimum notice.
- You assume all risks and responsibility for any harm, loss, damage, property damage, personal injury, to you or others resulting from, arising out of, or any way in relation to the swimmer’s use of or presence in Active Blackpool facilities.
- Active Blackpool may cancel the membership in the following circumstances:
- If you/ the swimmer break this agreement or any facility rules.
- If the swimmer’s membership card is used by any other person than you to gain access to the facility.
- We will not tolerate our staff or other members of the lesson being verbally or physically abused or intimidated. If this is the case, we will immediately ban you/the swimmer from the scheme.
- If the membership is cancelled, you can appeal in writing by contacting the Active Blackpool Aquatics Officer. All appeals will be heard in person and a decision will be made within 7 days of the hearing date. Appeals must be submitted to Learn2swim@blackpool.gov.uk.
- If Active Blackpool is required to cancel the membership for a breach of any rules, terms or conditions, there will be no refund made of any or part of your subscription fee.