Benefits of walking
- Walking can halve the risk of coronary heart disease
- Walking can reduce high blood pressure
- Regular walking can help people maintain or reduce weight
- Walking improves energy and stamina
- Walking can improve balance and co-ordination
- Healthy bodies
- Health minds
- Meet new people
- Prevent illness
The scheme aims to increase the amount of physical activity that people take, and to assist with the challenge of encouraging the recommendation of 150 minutes of moderate activity per week.
Guidelines for walkers
- Ensure you wear suitable shoes and appropriate clothing for walking
- Sun protection is advisable especially in hot or sunny weather
- Walk at a pace that's appropriate for you and keep 2 m apart
- Do not walk if you are feeling unwell
- If you are suffering from heart problems, you should consult your doctor prior to starting exercise for the first time in a while
- Notify a walk leader should you wish to leave part way through an organised walk
- Before taking part in a walk, please make sure that you have booked onto a walk by calling 01253 478007 between 9.00am and 11.30am
- If you are a new walker you must complete the basic health questionnaire over the phone when you book onto a walk
- We will be taking your name and telephone number and the information will be kept for 21 days
- The group has to follow the government guidelines for social contact and physical distancing of 2 meters
- There are 10 places available on each walk
Summer Walks Timetable 2021
Would you like to become a volunteer?
If you enjoy walking, would like to meet new friends, have some time to spare and would like to become a Walk Leader for Steps To Heath please contact Sandra Thompson our health and physical activity development officer on 01253 478007
If you have any questions please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
How to Stay active while you are at home, Sport England have provided some useful ideas about how to stay active if you are at home.
Steps to Health is a community walking programme in Blackpool.
The walks are free of charge and are suitable for people of all ages and abilities, walks are provided to those who would like to be more physically active.
- Short walk - 30 minutes for the beginners group
- Long walk - 60 minutes advanced group
The walks are supervised by trained leaders and volunteers who encourage the participants to walk at a pace that is appropriate to their condition and that will benefit their health.
See our seasonal walking timetable and starting points
For more information or if you would like to become a walk leader contact Active Blackpool.
Telephone: 01253 478007